Unique vintage JLC design - what is it?

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
MikeVA

Unique vintage JLC design - what is it?

Postby MikeVA » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:34 pm

Greetings, I found this interesting mechanical watch in my Grandmother's estate - a small (18mm round) Longines/LeCoultre with very unusual lugs. She was an antique dealer in New York in 50's and 60's. The watch comes out of a final collection of interesting artifacts that she had kept for herself.

The 13mm x 15mm 17 jewel movement (not working) is a 1952 Longines (8887924), though I'm not sure it is original, as the dial face is square. I've requested history on it from Longines.

The case appears to be solid 14K yellow gold. Inside it is inscribed "CASED AND TIMED IN USA by LECOULTRE" and "14K.GOLD" and the number 497628. The outside has "14K GOLD APEX".

What style is this? I have not seen similar in my searching, though it is likely because I don't know what to call it! Is it of 50's vintage? I found a JLC wiki but those case codes do not concur with this case.

Any opinions on the originality of this combination considering the misfit dial? Though the case inscription suggests it was never a JLC "brand" watch?

Obviously it needs work. I suspect the case is more valuable than the mechanism. I was quoted $160 USD to restore it. I'm taken by the design, it could make a nice gift. But maybe not valuable enough to justify the expense?

Many thanks in advance for your insights!
Mike
Attachments
JLC 1 face obrien x1200.jpg
JLC 5 dial obrien x900.jpg
JLC 7 case mark obrien x900.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Unique vintage JLC design - what is it?

Postby zafbasha » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:56 am

Looks like a Longines that was recased in a USA made LeCoultre case. I don't think it originally came this way,

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Unique vintage JLC design - what is it?

Postby zafbasha » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:57 am

Not worth restoring unless it has sentimental value. $160 might just be the beginning of your expenses.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”