Is this Memovox Factory original?

Answering questions regarding what you should expect to get for your vintage watch at auction or from a dealer. You may also ask if questions regarding the authenticity of your watch here.
Forum rules
In order to provide a reasonable appraisal, we will need at least 3 of the following:

1) A picture of your watch. This is done using the "upload" feature.
2) Model number if known.
3) The case material, Silver, Steel or Gold, etc.
4) Case diameter & overall condition.

Due to the demands placed on my mailbox, I do not answer such inquires by direct mail. You must post your question here. Direct eMails regarding appraisals will be deleted and not answered.

Please note: Almost ALL the small ladies "cocktail" watches of brands such as Bulova, Gruen, Hamilton, etc., with gold trading at record prices are trading at or near scrap.
CoolBear

Is this Memovox Factory original?

Post by CoolBear » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:52 am

Hi Zaf,

I recently got a vintage Memovox E855 (based on the auction site's description). However, when I opened the watch, I realized that the case back indicated that it is a model 2672.

Additionally, although the dial and movement are Swiss made, the casing says "Cased and Timed in USA".

Hence, I would like to seek your expert advice if the watch is a factory original or is it a franken watch? Also, if this is a factory original, what model is it and why is the casing made in USA?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Sam
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Is this Memovox Factory original?

Post by zafbasha » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:04 am

Seems to be a Franken watch. A "cased and timed in the USA" should have a LeCoultre movement and dial.

There were some models that had USA made cases that were exported back to Europe, but those usually had a "Plaque 80 micron" indication somewhere on the case for gold filled watches. Do you have that?

zafbasha
Site Admin

Post by zafbasha » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:07 am

Also, it's not an E855. That has a different shape.

CoolBear

Post by CoolBear » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:29 pm

No, there is no "Plaque 80 micron" anywhere. I figured that it is likely to be a franken watch. Real pity that this watch is not original. Everything from dial to movement to casing are in almost mint condition.

Lucky for me that the auction house is prepared to take it back as they got the model wrong. Thanks Zaf!!

zafbasha
Site Admin

Post by zafbasha » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:40 am

Nice looking watch agreed, all depends on what you paid I guess.