Vintage dress watch

Answering questions regarding what you should expect to get for your vintage watch at auction or from a dealer. You may also ask if questions regarding the authenticity of your watch here.
Forum rules
In order to provide a reasonable appraisal, we will need at least 3 of the following:

1) A picture of your watch. This is done using the "upload" feature.
2) Model number if known.
3) The case material, Silver, Steel or Gold, etc.
4) Case diameter & overall condition.

Due to the demands placed on my mailbox, I do not answer such inquires by direct mail. You must post your question here. Direct eMails regarding appraisals will be deleted and not answered.

Please note: Almost ALL the small ladies "cocktail" watches of brands such as Bulova, Gruen, Hamilton, etc., with gold trading at record prices are trading at or near scrap.
Jwanaug

Vintage dress watch

Post by Jwanaug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:52 am

Looking at my collection of very modern icons, the glaring omission is a dress watch. I think I would like something around 34-36mm, vintage, and classically styled. I like manual winds, but auto is ok. Sub-dials for the seconds are cool, but I’m still fine with a centre second. I like the look of these vintage IWC Cal 89.

What else should I look for? There seem a huge number of Omegas, but I wouldn’t know where to start. A recommendation would help!

Any other suggestions?

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Vintage dress watch

Post by zafbasha » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:45 am

Caliber 4xx Jaeger-LeCoultre fromn the 1940s are rather nice and still not all that expensive.