Need Help before i get taken for a ride

Answering questions regarding what you should expect to get for your vintage watch at auction or from a dealer. You may also ask if questions regarding the authenticity of your watch here.
Forum rules
In order to provide a reasonable appraisal, we will need at least 3 of the following:

1) A picture of your watch. This is done using the "upload" feature.
2) Model number if known.
3) The case material, Silver, Steel or Gold, etc.
4) Case diameter & overall condition.

Due to the demands placed on my mailbox, I do not answer such inquires by direct mail. You must post your question here. Direct eMails regarding appraisals will be deleted and not answered.

Please note: Almost ALL the small ladies "cocktail" watches of brands such as Bulova, Gruen, Hamilton, etc., with gold trading at record prices are trading at or near scrap.
gallian93

Need Help before i get taken for a ride

Post by gallian93 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:13 am

Hi all,
as a frequent car repair forum user i think i can rely on the "communal" good intentions so i am here now for your help...
I have been trying to figure out how much a watch i have is worth for more than a few years...(on and off efforts) at other forums...
no real luck...
brief history is that someone gave this watch to my father in the 80's he never wore and and put if way ( he was never a big gold fan)...many years (2008) later he gave it to me to wear or sell and said he didn't care either way... He swore it was ticking when he put it away all those years ago, but now it seems not to be...
The watch is a Jean Lassale Cal 2000 automatic...i think that is the serial number on the back (see pics)
and what seems to be the original strap and bucket (from image search online)
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG

gallian93

Re: Need Help before i get taken for a ride

Post by gallian93 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:31 am

Here are some more pic...sorry about the new post...as i am sure you all are aware there is a 3 pic max per post...
Thanks again to all... For those of you who are just watching this thread let me tell you that i am not at all surprised by the lack of response... I have been looking to try and appraisal this watch for a while now... it is near impossible to even find a single post about in "all over" the internet...
Thanks again to the Moderator for allowing the post...
Cheers!!
Attachments
IMG_04510.JPG
IMG_04470.JPG

zafbasha
Site Admin

Post by zafbasha » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:12 pm

Is it solid gold?

gallian93

Post by gallian93 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:03 am

zafbasha wrote:Is it solid gold?
To be honest, i am not sure... from what i have been able to learn is that it most likely is 18K gold...

Here is the link to the 1.2 mm movement which is the windup equivalent of the the 2mm automatic that i have.

http://www.collectionjeanlassale.ch/Cop ... ccueil.htm

it says "The "Jean Lassale" Caliber 1200 ladies or men's watches are in yellow 18K gold or in white 18K gold with a sapphire glass and babycroco strap with a 18K gold buckle." since mine seems to have the baby-croc strap and the buckle i am assuming that it is 18K gold....

Quote from Wikipedia
"The calibre 1200, with its automatic version the Calibre 2000, were first presented at the Foire Internationale de l’Horlogerie in Basel in April 1976.[10] This mechanical, handwound movement has a diameter of 20.4 mm, and a thickness of 1.2 mm. There is an automatic version which is 2.08 mm thick). It holds 14 ball-bearings. Each one uses 0.20 mm balls. These ball-bearings are inserted in a platine which is 1.2 mm think. Its frequency is 21,600 Alt/H, and its power reserve is 35 hours. It has 11 jewels. The calibre 1200 (and its automatic version 2000) were built from 1976 to 1979 in the factory that the company Bouchet-Lassale SA had built on 30, rue des Voisins in Geneva, Switzerland. The gold cases came from the « Ateliers réunis », a company also located in Geneva."

I've also learned that the 1200 cal was the world thinnest mechanical movement and the 2000 cal (mine) is (or was, not sure) the world' thinnest automatic mechanical movement.

and this old thread from 2001that references its movements..
http://www.network54.com/Forum/125316/t ... o+and+scan+-

zafbasha
Site Admin

Post by zafbasha » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:00 am

It would be unusual, for a Swiss made watch, not to show what metal the case, and even what the buckle is made of. So look for Hallmarks and other stampings. So assuming it's 18k, I'd guess it's something worth about $700-1000. I don't think it's mainstream enough to get collectors' attention.

Another way to approach it, is ask the site you link to, what they want for theirs and divide by two or three. That's give you a rough estimate as well. They seem to be selling unsold stock of the watch dating to the 1970s.

gallian93

Post by gallian93 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:55 am

zafbasha wrote:It would be unusual, for a Swiss made watch, not to show what metal the case, and even what the buckle is made of. So look for Hallmarks and other stampings. So assuming it's 18k, I'd guess it's something worth about $700-1000. I don't think it's mainstream enough to get collectors' attention.

Another way to approach it, is ask the site you link to, what they want for theirs and divide by two or three. That's give you a rough estimate as well. They seem to be selling unsold stock of the watch dating to the 1970s.
Thanks for your help..
I'll look for the hallmarks and i have an email out to them but have yet to hear back... If i do I'll update this thread, if for nothing else but an FYI...