Could You Please Help me with this vintage Longines Watch

Answering questions regarding what you should expect to get for your vintage watch at auction or from a dealer. You may also ask if questions regarding the authenticity of your watch here.
Forum rules
In order to provide a reasonable appraisal, we will need at least 3 of the following:

1) A picture of your watch. This is done using the "upload" feature.
2) Model number if known.
3) The case material, Silver, Steel or Gold, etc.
4) Case diameter & overall condition.

Due to the demands placed on my mailbox, I do not answer such inquires by direct mail. You must post your question here. Direct eMails regarding appraisals will be deleted and not answered.

Please note: Almost ALL the small ladies "cocktail" watches of brands such as Bulova, Gruen, Hamilton, etc., with gold trading at record prices are trading at or near scrap.
thawk5571

Could You Please Help me with this vintage Longines Watch

Post by thawk5571 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:54 am

Hi Zaf, I'm new to the board. Thank you for allowing me to join. I would appreciate it if you could please give me a little info on a Longines Admiral 5 Star Automatic watch that belonged to my grandfathers. He passed away in 1982, so I'm sure it is older than that. Any info and an approximate value would be great. I think it is gold as it is still all one tone and doesn't show any sign of fade. The diameter is 35 mm and it is 44 mm from lug tip to lug tip. From my research I think it is a mid 70's model. The Longines emblem is on the crown. It also has a new genuine lizard skin band hand made in Italy. I'm going to have it opened up so that I can see the serial number on the movement and see if it has a gold mark and makers mark on the inside as I've been told that if it is a Swiss case it will be on the inside. It it in very good condition and runs like a charm. It keeps accurate time as well. Thanks in advance for your help and expertise. :)
lBn7GWmyLR748vC-0M0Yx_g39L3e8RS0bCW6H8UwxoE=.jpg
W_P-8AW5vUlZzrglxtrjqK0Gya-Em74ZYpR1s1ZmJMA=.jpg
5fQYAiuAkj_KPvC-8MZrWEMwX3eGJY0cmDFybfOcrD0=.jpg

thawk5571

Re: Could You Please Help me with this vintage Longines Watch

Post by thawk5571 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:49 pm

EZxug8We5wYOy2MrK84WNhM5XZFoPoWqImCUuzkQ-nE=.jpg
S3KlMPhlASOoJVfahA433ATfW8VxZrwJi6-sOT7KPxU=.jpg
kfHsaNb0BZ8MpuWk3Rg8iNmIcwp9h0xeYIJ6-Ge3qxY=.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Post by zafbasha » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Is it solid gold?

thawk5571

Post by thawk5571 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:20 am

I believe it is. However, that's just my opinion. I'm waiting on a watch repairman from a jewelry store to call me back so I can take it in and have it opened up. There are no Hallmarks on the outside case unless it is between the lugs and I can't get the strap off to check. My best guess is it seems to be a late 60's to mid 70's model. It really shines up nicely though for it's age and having been mildly worn. There is no fading it is all still the same tone which makes me think it could be gold. I do know it is a monocoque and the movement comes out through the crystal. I live in a small city and it's hard to find a good guy who knows how to deal with those.

thawk5571

Post by thawk5571 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:31 am

Here are a few more pictures.
hee1lm0lGclOp2FgTCrhpP2UoNrngnFI92V7TWGf0Ro=.jpg
vp7t8xBmH_8C88fxO0kSWnblTFj5SFH3hgiLFeuVUrc=.jpg
qxXEqvyork_HlzAg2OxmMMTQb6YzXDw0SP2KV1huoGo=.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Post by zafbasha » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:11 pm

It'll be in the area of the gold content + $200 or so.