availability of parts/maintenance

Answering questions regarding the repair and maintenance of vintage watches.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items or services for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
lunacat

availability of parts/maintenance

Post by lunacat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:34 pm

I'm looking at 3 vintage watches and wondering if there may be issues getting parts or service maintenance done in the future. I'm a novice to vintage watches.

Hertig Certina movement 331. It appears that the numbers on the back of the watch say 43175 4 2012668

GUB Glashutte Automat. On the face it says "Stossgesichert" and "23 rubis". Back has numbers 14649 and also says "Stossgesichert, edelstahlboden, and plaque 20 micrometers." Seller does not know the movement and has not removed the back plate to check.

GUB Glashutte Automat. Face says "Stossgesichert" and "23 rubis". Back has numbers 45914, stossgesichert, and wassergeschatzt. It has movement 67.1

I can't find anything on these serial numbers. I know stossgesichert means shock resistant and wassergeschatzt means water resistant, but I know nothing else about these watches. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: availability of parts/maintenance

Post by zafbasha » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:18 pm

It sort of depends on where you live. Assuming the USA:

I'm pretty sure the Certina will have a movement made by one of the movement suppliers, ETA, Schild, etc. Parts should be more or less available. it really depends on what movement is in there.

The GUB was not imported into the US. You'll have a tough time with that outside of a German contact.