Movado 6B/159 serial numbers?

Covering vintage military watches up until about 1980, all questions will be researched and answered, but please post a picture with your inquiry. This is done with the "upload attachment" button.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
Hallibag

Movado 6B/159 serial numbers?

Post by Hallibag » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi,

It's my understanding that, prior to 1963, Movado wristwatches had six-digit serial numbers, that started with the movement caliber number and then counted up sequentially from there; i.e., the first Cal.150-powered watch would be 150001, the one thousand and first 151001, etc. Yet, I notice that a 1940 Movado 6B/159 I have has a five-digit serial, while a 1942 6B/159 has a seven-digit number! Both have Cal.75 movements and stainless steel cases.

Here are photos of the inside of the casebacks:

1940 model, serial #82520:

1942 model, serial #0085520:

As if Movado's serial numbering system wasn't complicated enough, perhaps there were exceptions to the six-digit rule?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Movado 6B/159 serial numbers?

Post by zafbasha » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:35 pm

I wish I could answer your questions, but over the years I have not jotted down any movado serial numbers, at least not in enough quantity to answer your question, sorry! I might be able to dig up some 6B/159 ones if that helps.

Hallibag

Post by Hallibag » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks for your reply, Zaf. Nobody seems to undestand Movado's
pre-1963 serial numbering system - not even Movado! I was in touch with them recently, hoping they might be able to provide some historical information about a watch, but they had nothing. In fact, my contact didn't even recognize their pocket-watch-in-a-hand trademark. :(

Now,I notice photos in my original message seem to have disappeared for some reason, so here they are again.

1940-issued non-Weems 6B/159, with five-digit serial:

1942- issued 6B/159, with seven-digit serial:

It looks to me like the '40 is missing a zero from the front of its serial number, while the '42 seems to have gained an extra one. Why, I have no idea!

Dave

WarnerHak

Movado 6B/159 serial numbers

Post by WarnerHak » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:37 pm

I found a reference online, but this seems to be more for amateur gear, and doesnt quite seem to sync with the FRG-7 numbers. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but can anyone provide a proper way to decode the serial number on this receiver? Thanks, Arthur

gatorcpa

Post by gatorcpa » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:27 pm

Here is a reference for determining the approximate date of vintage Movado watches by reference number.

https://movadolookup.wordpress.com/

I have to warn you that it is not easy to follow. First, you have to use the first set of tables to determine which calibers go with the case reference number. That is complicated by the fact that most case references had a base 4-digit code (for 18K gold), with add-on numbers to denote other metals.

Then once you determine the caliber number, you can consult the second set of tables to get a production date range.

Most older Movados did not have serial numbers on the movements unless they were certified chronometers, so exact dating is pretty much impossible.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa