LeCoultre Wrist Alarm

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
Wana

LeCoultre Wrist Alarm

Postby Wana » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:20 pm

This is a LeCoultre Wrist Alarm in 18K Gold. It belonged to my great uncle and is believed to be in original, unrestored condition. It keeps time very well and the alarm functions as it should. The strap is not original.

I would like to know when it was manufactured, and approximate retail value. Any information is appreciated!

Wana
Attachments
IMG_7132.jpg

Wana

Re: LeCoultre Wrist Alarm

Postby Wana » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:21 pm

Here is the back of the watch.
Attachments
IMG_7131.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Without a Jaeger LeCoultre movement serial number, I can not precisely date it, but it would be from around 1954. You have a fairly rare 18k version of that reference (3155 to be precise). I have not had one in 18k recently, but in gold filled they're around $1000-1200, I'd imagine in 18k, it's double that.

Wana

Postby Wana » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:56 pm

Thank you Zaf! I appreciate the information.

gatorcpa

Postby gatorcpa » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:25 pm

This looks to be a US market model with "LeCoultre" on the dial, rather than Jaeger-LeCoultre.

Generally, these watch cases were made in the US and are gold-filled or 14K gold. There are some US made cases with 18K gold, but you don't see them very often. The movement likely will also be engraved "LeCoultre".

I find it highly unusual that there is a Swiss 18K hallmark set on the outside of the case. Not sure I've ever seen that before with a US made case. US made cases sometimes have hallmarks on the outside, but these are words (for example "14K Gold Filled" or "18K") rather than symbols.

I would not pass judgment on this watch without seeing the inside of the case and movement.

Please be careful,
gatorcpa

Wana

Postby Wana » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:05 pm

Thanks for your comments gatorcpa. I totally agree with you, it is very interesting to see the hallmarks on the outside of the case, including the head of Helvetia and the Key of Geneva. I have never seen this either. Zaf, have you seen this before?

I would love to open it up, but am not confident in doing so, and would hate to do anything detrimental to the case or movement.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:09 pm

Honestly, I don't think I've seen what you have before, at least not in the past 20 years. It's an odd duck. Would be interesting to see what is marked on the insides of the case back and how the movement is branded. It is unusual to have Swiss hallmarks on the outside.

Not all US-marked cases were actually made in the U.S. for example the steel Futurematic cases were made in Switzerland. I would not be shocked if this applied to some 18k cases, unless of course you do have a Swiss watch and it got a dial change.

gatorcpa

Postby gatorcpa » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:47 pm

Not all US-marked cases were actually made in the U.S. for example the steel Futurematic cases were made in Switzerland.
This is true. However, those cases are marked “Swiss” on the inside, not the outside.

gatorcpa

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”