Memovox E875 - acrylic glass replacement

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
sonnerie

Memovox E875 - acrylic glass replacement

Postby sonnerie » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:05 am

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a Memovox E875 with a hairline crack on the glass near the 10 o'clock index. There are other artifacts in the picture, but the rest of the glass is quite clean without any scratches. Anyway, I'm hoping to find a replacement glass for it and hope to be able to find an original LeCoultre part if possible. Would anyone know the part number? I'm hoping that Zaf might be able to give guidance or even better yet, to have some in stock, but I didn't see any glass parts listed on the site for it.

Thank you for any helpful replies in advance.
Attachments
IMG_1453 v2.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Memovox E875 - acrylic glass replacement

Postby zafbasha » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:20 am

The original glass is round plastic. Any generic crystal will look fine.

I've never seen OEM LeCoultre alarm crystals for sale.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:20 am

It may be the type that has a silver ring inside the crystal, if that is the case, have it fitted with one of those.

sonnerie

Postby sonnerie » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:28 pm

That is helpful! Thank you, Zaf. This watch has the cal. 916 movement. I can't tell if the crystal has the retaining ring. If there is, would I be able to reuse the existing one or have to replace with the glass, as well? By the way, would I be able to source the plastic crystal and ring from you? Thanks.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:45 pm

You should see a small split on the ring if it has one. It's typically at 6:00.

Any watchmaker should be able to accommodate this request. The original part is not anything special.

sonnerie

Postby sonnerie » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:06 pm

Hello Zaf, I hope you're keeping well. Per your advice, I have taken my watch to a local reputable watchmaker who has been practicing for over 30 years. Unfortunately, he was unable to find the right replacement generic acrylic glass. He tried a number of configurations but was unsuccessful. I'm now helping him to source a suitable crystal. The diameter is 33.5mm, but it requires extra high dome with chrome/silver tension ring. The GS XHD.32-3/4 has 6.8mm height and should be good, but it doesn't have tension ring. Similarly, Stella has the XHEC but no tension ring, and I can't find it for 33.5mm size at any rate. The watchmaker insists that the crystal should have tension ring.

The problem is that the majority of other crystals with tension rings seem to not high enough dome for this particular watch model. The closest I can find is the Sternkreuz High Dome Acrylic Crystal with Chrome tension ring, and the height of that crystal is 5.2mm. Based on your experience, do you have a recommendation for the correct generic crystal that can be sourced? or would you know where an OEM crystal might be found?

Thank you again for your valuable insight.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:02 am

You will not find an OEM crystal. No point in even asking around. SO.... whether you send it JLC for whatever they're installing these days, the service will cost you at least 2000 Euros.

My recommendation would be to is to install whatever crystal works height-wise and have the shop fit a silver ring that just pushes slightly on the dial to prevent it from moving. It won't be as water-tight as a real tension ring crystal but it's not a dive watch, so it does not really matter.

So you need a shop that's a little creative in this instance.

Eddie_C96

Postby Eddie_C96 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:57 pm

I have a similar question, but for a 875.42 case - can anyone recommend an aftermarket crystal with the correct dome height (5.2mm)?

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:34 am

How do you know that is the correct dome height?

Eddie_C96

Postby Eddie_C96 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:39 pm

That s what my watchmaker measured on the original.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”