Powermatic rediscovered, advice on dail?

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
Andrew 5

Powermatic rediscovered, advice on dail?

Postby Andrew 5 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 am

Greetings from a first time post.

Need advice on the dial of this Powermatic, It'a a 37mm stainless, I believe (case numbered 521696). Movement #6600xx).

Going through storage, I rediscovered this watch that I purchased in Shanghai China in 1983 from a pop up consignment shop run by a "rehabilitated" elderly watchmaker along with three other watches. China was at that time opening up to the east.

All the watches I purchased have seen hard times possibly due to the Revolution. The crystal of this JLC is scratched and crazed. The watch back shows some in appropriate opening. I have not worn it but for a few days since the 80's.

Totally forgotten. Anyway, the dial looks like it could be repainted. The "1" from the "12" has dislodged. It keeps very good time and the power reserve works but the indicator does not have a red zone below 15 hours and when fully wound reads "0". It will stop intermittentally when the power reserve becomes low. There is no contrasting edging on the power reserve window as I've seen in most photos. The finish appears to be a glossy black.

Would you advise restoring the dial and power reserve indicator and edging?

As it has sat for 36 years a service might be in order as I'm not sure if it's ever been serviced.

The other watches purchased were Rolex 6330 Oyster Precision (brevet + crown), an Oysterdate and a JLC Club Alarm (which has a beautiful face but sadly does not run, the alarm works).

Thanks for any advice you might have.
Attachments
Powermatic ACN 2.JPG

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Powermatic rediscovered, advice on dail?

Postby zafbasha » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:06 pm

The dial and disk have both been refinished.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”