Inputs needed Master Mariner E557

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
Dan777

Inputs needed Master Mariner E557

Postby Dan777 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:38 am

I will really appreciate the inputs of forum members concerning a watch that I have inherited. Relevant details that I can supply (not sure that all stated is 100% correct):

Made in the 1960s. Center-seconds, self-winding, water-resistant, stainless steel wristwatch with date. Model E557/1.
Three-body, polished and brushed, screwed-down case back. D. Satiné silver with applied steel square indexes, aperture for the date. Luminous steel baton hands. M. Cal. K 883 (maybe a K881?), rhodium-plated, straight line lever escapement, monometallic balance, shock absorber, self-compensating flat balance-spring. Dial, case and movement signed. Diam. 34 mm. Thickness 12 mm.

In very good working condition. Serviced a year ago and has not even worked 10 hours since, new glass was also fitted. Watch body and strap needs a polish; knowing little about watches I will rate it as good to very good. Keeps perfect time. Strap is original JLC. Original case, warranty, instruction manual & sale papers included, all in fine condition.

According to my info, four types of this Master Mariner were made. Apparently this is the very scarce one with the Jaeger LeCoultre name (plate) placed where the 9 should be on the face. The face is also "darker" on the one half. This is what Jaeger LeCoultre itself states about the watch: "Regarding the dial, this specific model had a total of four different dials which includes the one with the plate at nine o'clock".

Kindly assist with the following:

1. Is this a K883 or a K881
2. Any comments re the scarcity of this watch? I have checked on the net for roughly three now and could find only ONE similar watch where the JLC name is on a plate at nine o'clock. I did manage to find a number of Master Mariners which I assume are from the other three type of dials in this particular series; where the JLC name is stated at the top of the face (on my watch the words "Master Mariner" are stated at the top. But apart from the one with a plate at nine I found (it sold in 2008 for $1 500 but had no s/s JLC strap or box with any papers), I could not get any other info or pics on this particular watch. It seems to be very scarce indeed.
3. Approximate valuation figures by forum members (though I know it is not binding) will be highly appreciated, as I would like to establish the value for insurance purposes. I have been given rookie estimates ranging between $3 500 and $8 500 and would like a more exact figure.

Your advises will be highly appreciated!
Attachments
MAIN 4.JPG
MAIN 1.JPG
MAIN.JPG

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Inputs needed Master Mariner E557

Postby zafbasha » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:09 am

1. Regarding the movement, you'd need to open it as the 881 and 883 are interchangeable. If I were to guess, it's an 881.
2. Regarding value, it's always a tricky question, if it's "replacement value" you're looking for, i.e. "appraised value" then it will be on the high side of your scale, as that implies you're replacing it with an equivalent watch in a JLC boutique. It you're looking for "collector value" i.e. what a collector would actually pay for this watch, I do not see it going past $2000-2500. I don't think a dial variant with a Master Mariner model will have to much impact on value in this case.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”