Cal 285 JLC Vintage Chronograph

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
nt931

Cal 285 JLC Vintage Chronograph

Postby nt931 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi!

I'd like to enquire about this JLC 2-register chronograph that's for sale. It's in steel, and said to be 37mm without crown. I have only a little bit of experience in vintage watches, and not enough expertise, so I'd like to seek your help.

I consulted Zaf's book (pages 74-77) and as far as I can tell about this watch for sale:
1. It has a UG calibre 285 , which is consistent as far as I know
2. The dial resembles the one on the top of page 76, and it looks quite patina-ed and faded, so it's not a recent redial, and I think it's not refinished (but I could be wrong!)
3. Movement looks a bit dirty? Probably needs servicing.
4. The serial dates it to around 1957/1958?

Could I ask:
1. Did these 2-register chronos ever come in SS in that 37mm size? Or is this chromed nickel? Or worse, is this a franken?
2. Does the movement look OK?
3. Are there any other "red flags" or warning signs about the watch?

Thanks in advance for your help!

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Cal 285 JLC Vintage Chronograph

Postby zafbasha » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:16 pm

It looks authentic to me and in an all steel case.

nt931

Re: Cal 285 JLC Vintage Chronograph

Postby nt931 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks very much Zaf! Sorry for the late thank you - was travelling.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”