Rare European steel Futurematic - should I restore the dial?

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
frontfloater

Rare European steel Futurematic - should I restore the dial?

Postby frontfloater » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:50 am

Hello folks,

This is my first post here, so please go easy on me...

I just bought this rare steel-cased Futurematic, branded "Automatic" which I understand was for the European market. I'm a trader, so the watch will be for sale once renovated. The movement is faulty so it will need a full service - but what about the dial? The auctioneer's description said "surface dirt on the dial", but it looks more like a stain to me. A trader who has one of these on sale told me that it would be more collectable with the dial left as-is, rather than getting it restored. I would welcome your opinions on that.

Via a Google search, I read that there may have been only 500 examples made of the European/steel watch - but I don't know where that opinion or fact came from. If anyone has firm data, that would be very helpful too.

Thanks,
BOB

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Rare European steel Futurematic - should I restore the dial?

Postby zafbasha » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:13 pm

The 500 figure is not accurate. It's much higher than that. Probably closer to 3-4000.

The watch would probably worth less with a restored dial.

ChrisBry

Postby ChrisBry » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:17 am

Why would restoring the dial make the watch be worth less? What am I missing? It's a beautiful piece btw, Frontfloater.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:41 am

Generally speaking a dial restoration, i.e. a repaint reduces the watch value by 30 to 50% and on some rarer models even more. It's only original once and repaints never really match the print of the original.

frontfloater

Postby frontfloater » Thu May 02, 2019 7:43 am

Eventually.... It turned out that I did not need to consider the dial restoration decision, because that "stain" was just not there - it was entirely a trick of the vendor's camera, which is weird. The dial certainly has patina, but not such that I (or probably anyone) would want to mess with it.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”