Geomatic hands

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Geomatic hands

Postby zafbasha » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:15 pm

It's K! I'd be shocked if it's a Z. K stands for Kif shock protection.

The hands of your MM will fit, I don't know if they're long enough though, you have to try,\

OutOfSpec

Postby OutOfSpec » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 am

It's K! I'd be shocked if it's a Z. K stands for Kif shock protection.

The hands of your MM will fit, I don't know if they're long enough though, you have to try,\
Thanks, Zaf. Below is a picture showing "Z883." The balance has kif shock protection, but it still says "z." I tried to research this "z883" and did not find much.

Thanks for letting me know about the hands and that they would fit (even from a "z"?). I'm not sure if I want to take apart this watch, what I'd then do with it, or if it is even advisable to do.
Attachments
z883.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 am

This is on the MM or Geomatic?

The Geo should be either a K881G or a K883G. The movement should hack set. Does yours hack set?

I've never seen a Z883 on a geomatic, though anything is possible I guess!

OutOfSpec

Postby OutOfSpec » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:11 pm

This is on the MM or Geomatic?

The Geo should be either a K881G or a K883G. The movement should hack set. Does yours hack set?

I've never seen a Z883 on a geomatic, though anything is possible I guess!
Hi Zaf,

Sorry for the confusion. Both movement pictures I have posted in this thread are of the Master Mariner.

It is the Master Mariner movement that reads "Z883." I cannot find much information on this movement.

My Geomatic does hack set. I can't open the back, so I can't post a picture. I have been researching Geomatic calibers here: https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=JLC_881

I thought the stainless steel Geomatic may be a K883 S. I'm confused by the possibilities.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 am

Yes, K883S or K881G for Geo, typo...

OutOfSpec

Postby OutOfSpec » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:34 am

I actually located and purchased a pair of JLC silver lume hands from the period that fit k811/k883 and S/G variants! They are arriving soon. However, the minute hand is only 12mm long. I believe the minute hand needs to be about 13.5 mm long to meet the minute track and be the same length as the second hand. Since only about 2000(?) stainless steel Geomatics were made, I think I'm not going to find these hands on the open market. I imagine there's no way to get them from JLC without a full restoration? Oy.

Would you consider the watch incorrect even if paired with similar silver lume hands from k881/883?

OutOfSpec

Postby OutOfSpec » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:20 am

Hi Zaf,

Do you know if the hands from a JLC Caliber 886 would fit the Geomatic? I have a source for such and I understand the hands appear visually identical. Thank you very much for any information.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:30 am

It is possible but the 885/886 is a manual wind movement, so it isn't necessarily a fit.

OutOfSpec

Postby OutOfSpec » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:13 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately, I lost out on acquiring the hands. Happy Holidays.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”