Geomatic hands

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
OutOfSpec

Geomatic hands

Postby OutOfSpec » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi,

Thanks to Zaf for making this forum available.

I recently acquired a JLC Stainless Steel Geomatic. I am certain that the hour and minute hands are not original. There is also a small age spot on the dial at the 2 o'clock position. Otherwise, the watch is really nice. I inquired with local watchmakers and I am told that the original hands will not be available. I have searched ebay and other online sources and cannot find the hands. I am exploring sending the watch to JLC for service. I understand that it must go to Switzerland and a service will be a minimum of $2000 with a 9 month wait. I am not sure whether JLC has the new old stock hands for the geomatic or a new old stock dial. Really, the dial I can live with, but I'd love to get the correct hands. I've asked the JLC boutique about the hands and dial, and they say anything is possible, but they can't be specific. I imagine the cost of a new old stock dial would be astronomical. Does anyone know:

1. If the hands can be sourced anywhere independent of JLC? I'm inclined to have the watch serviced outside of JLC if this is possible.
2. If JLC has the hands and the likely cost of such? Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd send it back.
3. The likelihood and cost of removing an age spot on the dial? I don't want a redial.
4. The potential cost of a new old stock dial, if that even exist.

The hands are most important.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message!

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Geomatic hands

Postby zafbasha » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Can you post a photo? The hands may be the same as a cal 881/883 dress watch. So maybe you can find that and use those.

OutOfSpec

Postby OutOfSpec » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi Zaf,

Thanks for your kind reply. I have attached an image of the Geomatic. I think the hands are not original. The style and length are incorrect. The lume is bright.
Attachments
geomatic1.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Yes, not correct. The cal 881/883 hands will fit and I'm pretty sure some no Geo dress watches have the same.

I think for around 2500 Euro you'd get the service the hands and a dial. Question is, do they have an original dial? That I can't answer.

If you have to go on the cheap, keep watching ebay, an 881 / 883 with hands will show up eventually.

OutOfSpec

Postby OutOfSpec » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Yes, not correct. The cal 881/883 hands will fit and I'm pretty sure some no Geo dress watches have the same.

I think for around 2500 Euro you'd get the service the hands and a dial. Question is, do they have an original dial? That I can't answer.

If you have to go on the cheap, keep watching ebay, an 881 / 883 with hands will show up eventually.
So, you do think that JLC does have the hands? And, removing the age spot on the dial is likely not realistic (either keep dial as is or source original dial if available)?

I will have see if I can understand how to recognize which JLC's have the 881/883 caliber so I can search for them out there. I believe Master Mariners have them...anything else? Thank you again.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Good chance the old "dress style" Master Mariner will have the same hands. Other dress autos maybe as well.

I suspect JL will have the hands, and 70% chance on the dial. I'd only send it there if they have the dial though....if you're going to pay that much on their restoration.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Check this:
Attachments
rxr0207.jpg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:18 pm

And this:
Attachments
rx2487.jpg

OutOfSpec

Postby OutOfSpec » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks for this. It looks like it will be quite an expense either way to get those hands, unless I use a watch I already own. :(

OutOfSpec

Postby OutOfSpec » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:56 pm

Here is a Master Mariner I own. Is this a K 883? The movement says "Z 883." Would these hands work as donors for the Geomatic? The case on this Master Mariner is about 33mm without the crown. I think the minute hand would be too short to reach the minute track of the Geomatic dial. Any opinions? I'm not sure I'd want to plunder the Master Mariner.

Also, the standard geomatic hands seem to have notches near the center,while these have none. See: http://www.shucktheoyster.com/wp-conten ... 28_003.jpg
Attachments
jlc_mm2.jpg
jlc_mm1.jpg

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”