Thoughts on a Memovox E855 and refinishing

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
wristalarm

Thoughts on a Memovox E855 and refinishing

Postby wristalarm » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:11 pm

I've come into possession of an E855 Memovox. On closer inspection, there are some features that are calling into question the originality and value of the piece. Specifically:
  • The "Automatic" seems really low. It touches the minute marks
  • Some of the numerals on the date disk appear smudged or to have been printed with too much ink
I'm trying to decide whether to return the piece (at a loss, due to shipping and some fees not being returned) or to possibly have these issues corrected at a later date.

Are these issues real issues and indicative of prior re-finishing work? If so, is it possible to correct these issues? Presumably the date disk is straightforward, but what about the dial? I assume finding a new dial will be very difficult, but would it be possible to re-finish in a more correct fashion?

Here's a picture indicating the issues
2015-07-26 14.12.04 copy.jpeg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on a Memovox E855 and refinishing

Postby zafbasha » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:00 pm

It's kind of a low res shot, so I can not be certain, but the dial appears original as does the calendar disk. However, it's just not a great example (from the photo). So it all depends on what you paid and or it's something you're going to be happy with.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”