Help with identifying a J-leC watch

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
pdcracing

Help with identifying a J-leC watch

Postby pdcracing » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Can anyone help me with identifying this watch which has been inherited by a friend. It has a movement with a number 999595 which I don't seem to be able to to find reference to or pictures of anywhere. It has hallmarks on the clasp which seem to indicate that it was assayed in Birmingham in 1965 but it is also hallmarked on the inside of the case back with marks which do not appear to be British and again which I can't find reference to anywhere.

Also, can anyone suggest a value for this 9 carat gold watch and gold rope strap?
Sharon's watch_017.JPG
Watch face, case and strap.
Sharon's watch_008-001.jpg
Movement.
Sharon's watch_034.JPG
Inside back of case - hallmarks and maker's mark?

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Help with identifying a J-leC watch

Postby zafbasha » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:02 am

UK market, 9k DTE contract case, movement made around 1955, so it was cased later, which is not uncommon.

Value for this sort of thing is low, not a whole lot more than the gold.

pdcracing

Re: Help with identifying a J-leC watch

Postby pdcracing » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Many thanks for that, it fits with what I've been able to research elsewhere. If I'm not mistaken the movement is a 490/BW but I've found both earlier and later versions which are signed just "LeCoultreCo" instead of the "Jaeger-LeCoultre" that mine is. Visually, apart from variations in the inscriptions, earlier versions seem to have a guard for the balance wheel incorporated in the regulator pointer whereas both mine and later versions have a jewel in the centre of the pointer. Can you throw light on these diferences?

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”