Antique JLC questions

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
bargainliving

Antique JLC questions

Postby bargainliving » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:51 am

Greetings All.

I would like to ask for you opinion on this watch -- the dial and the crown. Do you think this is original or restored? I have opened the back, it is signed by the manufacturer and says P478 under the balance wheel. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
jlcdial.png

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Antique JLC questions

Postby zafbasha » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:16 am

The dial is original, the crown has been replaced. The hands have likely been relumed.

bargainliving

Postby bargainliving » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:06 am

Thank you sir. I am looking to acquire a vintage cal. p478 or p469 movement. Most are out of my price range or sold by international sellers on ebay so I'm a bit hesitant to make the plunge. The ones that are in my price range are typical frankens or have had some work done on them. Finding the perfect one is becoming a bit of an obsession! :D

bargainliving

dial sizes for vintage 469 and 478 watches

Postby bargainliving » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Zaf and All - As I shop for vintage cal 478 or 469 I am seeing various case sizes from 31mm to 34.5mm. Some say "SWISS" some do not. Interestingly some of the ones that don't say "SWISS" seem to look more authentic. My questions are:

What are the standard case sizes for that period and for those movements?

Does the lack of a "SWISS" marking mean anything? The example I posted does not have a "SWISS" marking.

I do not see any restored pieces -- most all seem to be in rustic shape. I'm very open to purchasing a beautifully restored watch of that calibre and time period but I don't see any around - I'm assuming there no market for it?

Thank you - any and all comments are welcome!

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:40 pm

The example you've shown, I'm pretty sure says SWISS you just can't see it sometimes either because of the photo or it's obscured by the bezel.

For the style of watch you're showing I would expect Swiss on the dial.

Here is an example of that watch:
http://www.classicwatch.com/graphics/rx1101.jpg

Cases are usually 33-34mm. I don't adviose going smaller those watches are less collectible.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”