Futurematic - query about a dial

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
zelemo_m

Futurematic - query about a dial

Postby zelemo_m » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:00 am

Hi there - newbie here on any watch forum, so my apologies for any gaffes or stupid questions.

I have recently obtained a JLC Futurematic 497 movement. It's just been serviced by Christian Danneman (WatchGuy) in the UK (the photos were taken by him during the service).

The watch case is a 9ct gold UK model dating from 1954, based on the hallmark on the case back; it's also got the DTE case-maker's mark. The case itself is also hallmarked 9ct, and it looks exactly the same as the UK example in the lovely JLC collector's guide.

The watch is clearly a European model, as the movement is signed Jaeger LeCoultre and not LeCoultre.

The dial is also signed Jaeger LeCoultre. However, the "POWER RESERVE" on the dial is something I've only ever seen on dials signed LeCoultre. The JLC collector's guide also seems to indicate that the POWER RESERVE only occurs on US market watches; generally European market Futurematics seem to have indicator markers round the power reserve dial.

So I'm just wondering - have I got a slightly dubious dial?

Thanks very much.

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Futurematic - query about a dial

Postby zafbasha » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:19 am

I've never seen that dial or that blue color. If you look at the markers some touch the minute tick mark, some don't...so yeah, mot sure what this is!

zelemo_m

Postby zelemo_m » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:51 pm

I had a feeling you might say that.

Were original dials normally made at JLC and then exported to the US separately from the watch? Or were they made in the US?

If dials with "POWER RESERVE" were made at JLC, then I suppose it is possible that this was a variant made for the UK market? Though I can well believe that the red and blue have been recoloured. The dial does look rather too good for a 60-year-old watch.

But if it is dubious, it is very nicely done :)

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:32 am

The U.S. dials were also Swiss made, only the cases were locally sourced, same with the U.K. the exception being steel cases which were Swiss made. I guess it's possible it's a UK variant, but until you see another like it, nothing is definitive. I've seen thousands of these at this point and that's the first one like that I've seen.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”