Information about vintage LeCoultre Bumper Automatic. Service?

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
flashfirenze

Information about vintage LeCoultre Bumper Automatic. Service?

Postby flashfirenze » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:40 pm

This watch was given to me by my father about 20 years ago, it belonged to my grandfather, and I only wear it for special occasions. It runs great, and is in really good shape. This pictures are so close up they make it look dirtier than it really looks on the wrist haha!
Anyway, despite the watch running well I thought I should have it cleaned and serviced, as I intend to keep this forever and pass it on to my kids!

I took it into the JLC boutique here in NYC, and they didn't have any idea what the watch was. They said it looks like a Memovox. It is not a memovox! That wasn't encouraging coming from the flagship JLC boutique in manhattan. They said it is vintage so needs to be sent to Switzerland and the starting cost is $1,500, but that is before any parts, and since its never been serviced in 60+ years, it will of course need new parts!

I did some searching on Chrono24 etc and I think this is a Bumper Automatic. Not a particularly rare or valuable reference. They are selling for less than $1,500!

I would never sell this watch, but the cost seems prohibitive. After all, the watch runs great!

Any advice or information about what this reference actually is (since the actual JLC boutique didn't know) would be very welcomed! Also advice regarding the service and what I may be able to expect.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1744.jpeg

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: Information about vintage LeCoultre Bumper Automatic. Service?

Postby zafbasha » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:47 pm

It's a U.S.A. market watch, for which JLC Switzerland has no records.

Sometimes, if there is a number. in addition to the case a serial number of the case back, that is the case reference.

I can service your watch at approximately 1/3 of the factory cost, assuming no parts are required.

See here:
https://www.classicwatch.com/vintage-watch-repair/

Thanks.

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”