LeCoultre Weems movement?

Welcome to the vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre forum. You must be a registered user in order to use the forum. If you have a question about a specific watch, please upload photos as it is impossible to know what you are talking about based on serial numbers. Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale including auction sites.
Forum rules
Please limit discussion to items of horological interest. You may post links to sites with educational content, but please no links to competing sites with similar items for sale. You must register to use any of the fora.
Hallibag

LeCoultre Weems movement?

Postby Hallibag » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:10 am

Hi, Zaf:

Yesterday, I picked up what I believe is a Cal. 450 movement that came from a Weems watch. I would love to know what you think about this, and if it dates to around 1940, as I expect. Here are a couple of photos:

As you can see, the movement is missing a few bits, such as the cannon pinion, hour wheel and sweep seconds pinion. It also needs a new centre wheel. I've located all these parts, with the exception of the hour wheel. Would the hour wheel from a Cal. 449 work?

On the plus side, the movement appears to have a correct, original winding crown for the Weems watch. Would you agree?

Now, I just need a case, dial and hands. At least this is a start!

Thanks!

zafbasha
Site Admin

Re: LeCoultre Weems movement?

Postby zafbasha » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:56 am

Yes, probably out of an RAF Weems, dates to around 1940. Cal 449 parts should interchange.

Hallibag

Postby Hallibag » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Many thanks, Zaf.

Now, one more question. It seems there are two different replacement "Centre Wheel and Cannon Pinion" sets available, one with a height of 1.90 mm and the other with a height of 2.25 mm. Both are for the Cal. 450. Would you happen to know which height would be correct for this movement?

Thanks again!

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:25 am

Not sure, let me see if I can find one here to measure.

Hallibag

Postby Hallibag » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:45 pm

Your help is appreciated!

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:14 pm

The cal 450 I have here has a canon pinion height of 1.90mm. The center wheel itself is 5.30mm.

Hallibag

Postby Hallibag » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:27 pm

Thank you, Zaf. With that information I can go ahead and order the parts I need. :)

Dave

Hallibag

Postby Hallibag » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:51 pm

It took almost three months, but this movement just came back from overhaul. It's been stripped, cleaned, lubricated and all the missing or damaged parts replaced (finding the replacement parts was what took so long) and I even have a lead on a RAF Weems case for the movement to go into. Thanks again, Zaf, for your help!

zafbasha
Site Admin

Postby zafbasha » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:25 am

Good deal!

Return to “Vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre Forum”